E-Waste Disposal

8/14/2013 11:19:00 AM

Image Courtesy of http://blog.adormi.com/2012/11/electronic-waste-management/

As I sat in front of my computer the other day to take my daily dose of social media, a relative of mine asked me how old cellphone batteries should be disposed. I am usually the answer point of almost anything and everything here in our household. However this time, I didn't know how to respond.

It was a valid question. How do we dispose of e-waste? What is considered e-waste?

Electronic waste, e-waste, e-scrap, or waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) describes discarded electrical or electronic devices. "Electronic waste" or "e-waste" may be defined as discarded computers, office electronic equipment, entertainment device electronics, mobile phones, television sets and refrigerators. This definition includes used electronics which are destined for reuse, resale, salvage, recycling, or disposal.

These items should NOT be treated as regular waste because all electronic scrap components, such as CRTs, may contain contaminants such as lead, cadmium, beryllium, or brominated flame retardants. Other countries like the United States have proper channels and resources for such, but everyone knows it is quite different here in the Philippines. 

A few years back, when I was still working for Advanced Contact Solutions Inc., there was a recycling/disposal project for e-waste. I also remember seeing a news feature on GMA7 regarding e-waste disposal. Sure, there were initiatives from companies like Globe Telecom, etc., and local projects such as the one launched by the government of Bulacan back in mid-2010, but I haven't really heard anything big happening regarding this topic. If there was, that project wasn't around that long.

We need something that sticks. Something that stays. And we need it NOW.

So I Googled. I saw a couple of articles saying that DENR is encouraging the citizens of this country to dispose old gadgets. But what they lack is providing information on how we can do it, or who can be contacted for such. Not all people are keen in researching, nor will they bother looking for companies that deal with e-waste especially after finding out that it is such an arduous task.

I found a company who seems to be an expert in this area. You may check their website here. I sent an inquiry via email and received a response the next day. This is what they sent as an attachment to their initial response.


Now I'm brewing up a project here my neighborhood. I'm hoping to get a positive response when I discuss my proposal in front of the board soon. I will post the progress of this project, with hopes that it raises awareness in regards to e-waste disposal here in our country.



You Might Also Like

1 comments

Zalora Philippines

Zalora Philippines

Zalora Philippines